An Unnamed Blog

The opinions, interests, whining and wayward fancies of an eighteen a nineteen twenty year-old Muslim living in a medley of social, religious, non-religious and political chaos that is today’s Pakistan.

Monday, December 19, 2005

The two K's: Kashmir and Kalabagh

The cold, brutal winter of Kashmir has arrived and hankering dangerously after its prey. Pneumonia is already gradually increasing among children, with every other person exhibiting cold. Life has moved on for people elsewhere in Pakistan (not for everyone). There are other hot topics to discuss these days, Kalabagh Dam for one. Not that the topic need not to be discussed. An year or so ago, Arundhati Roy(Greater Common Good article in her book Algebra of Infinite Justice)led me to believe or at least led me to think in favour of the belief that big dams aren’t useful at all … just something that the imperialist powers are imposing upon the developing nations … and being a loafer that I am, I didn’t search thoroughly then about the credibility of her belief, though she did present a highly convincing case. Now that Kalabagh Dam is upon us, I am forced to seek out the reality behind this Big Dam Business that India and Pakistan are so fond to engage in. I need a bit of time to do a little googling and reading here and there for a few days or perhaps weeks so I’ll come back later with that. If any one single entity is reading this out there (though I am not really sure infact not sure at all) and knows something about it please let me know. I need to form an opinion about this. Anyways the people of Kashmir are suffering : Quake survivors blankets appeal … they still need blankets and more help… it is incredibly frustrating … I can’t do enough about it except just listen to the news and get more frustrated. My dad was planning to go there with some of his friends and he promised to take me with him but at the moment it seems that the plan isn’t really going to undergo any implementation of some sort. And my mom won’t let me go with him now, if he ever plans to go that is. She’ll go into a lengthy harangue of how day-and-nightly I need to study for my MCAT, if you just even mouth a single sentence related to going somewhere. And to maintain the patient reputation I have, I just sit there and listen and placate and try to divert her attention through anything that will not erupt her into another of those lectures. So at the moment all I can do is pray for them. If anyone is reading and can afford to help please visit Muslim Aid and You Can Help(Islamic Aid)... or there are plenty of others out there too. I have to go now.

Written Later : The main reason behind my abrupt departure was the undesirable arrival of my brother, who had to play Age of Empires or FIFA or any other one of the countless games of his. I had to go. Otherwise, he just does something(like plugging the computer off) that makes me rue my decision, of not letting him play, for the rest of my life. But I do have to go now.Will come back with the next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home